Love this recipe. No one can believe it's a light version!
Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
Measuring the bread by weight is important in this recipe-12 ounces of cubed bread can vary from seven to 10 cups. If you use too little bread, the dessert will be loose and wet; too much bread, and it will be dry. But just the right amount yields a decadently creamy, rich dessert.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 55.6g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 325mg
- Calcium: 144mg
- 5 1/2 ounce sugar (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 1/4 ounces unsweetened cocoa (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (about 3/4)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces (1-inch) cubed French bread (about 10 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 1 ounce sugar (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine 5 1/2 ounces sugar and eggs in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; add cocoa and chocolate, stirring with a whisk until cocoa dissolves and chocolate melts. Gradually add hot milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add bread, tossing to coat; let mixture stand for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- 3. Spoon bread mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 1 ounce of sugar evenly over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts