More From Southern Living
Bake: 43 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 107
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 57mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced-calorie sweetener
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (about 4.5 ounces) finely chopped premium dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute, beating until well blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate and, if desired, nuts.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a 10- x 2-inch log on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife, using a gentle sawing motion. Place slices on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 7 to 9 minutes; turn cookies over, and bake 7 to 9 more minutes or until cookies are browned. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Equal Sugar Lite, Café Bustelo Instant Coffee (Espresso), and Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate.
- Per cookie (without nuts): Calories 94 (35% from fat); Fat 3.7g (sat 2.1g, mono 0.6g, poly 0.2g); Protein 1.6g; Carb 14g; Fiber 0.5g; Chol 6mg; Iron 0.8mg; Sodium 57mg; Calc 21mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers