- 1 (1-pound) loaf day-old French bread
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (4-ounce) bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped (we tested with Ghirardelli)
- White Chocolate Brandy Sauce
How to Make It
Tear bread into small pieces; place in a large bowl. Add milk and half-and-half; let mixture stand 10 minutes.
Combine eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt; add to bread, stirring well. Stir in chopped chocolate. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13" x 9" pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 55 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cut into squares, and serve warm with White Chocolate Brandy Sauce.