I had forgotten the eggs completely for these cupcakes, and the turned out fine! Soft but still holding up. And with the frosting, who would notice?
Chocolate-Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
If you are looking for a chocolate fix, look no further. This is layer upon layer of chocolate. Moist Chocolate Cake, a mountain of Chocolate Frosting, and a sprinkle of chocolate chunks. If you feel the need for a little more, fill the cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache. This one is guaranteed to fulfill and chocolate lover's dream.
- Chocolate Cake:
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cocoa and 2 cups boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, stirring until blended and smooth; cool completely. Beat butter with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate extract.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- To prepare Chocolate Frosting, beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Frost each cupcake with Chocolate Frosting using metal tip no. 2D. Top each with about 1 Tbsp. chocolate chunks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note