This was so good. I did not do it with the choc. sauce but with homemade lemon ice cream. It was a perfect dessert.
Chocolate-chip Shortcakes with Berries and Dark Chocolate Sauce
The berry and chocolate flavors in Zinfandel pop in sweet, late-harvest versions. You can't go wrong when your dessert includes them too. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: You can make the shortcakes up to a day ahead of time; just let cakes cool completely, then wrap airtight and store at room temperature. You can also make the chocolate sauce a day ahead of time; to rewarm, stir it gently over low heat.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 719
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 9.1g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 88g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Sodium: 754mg
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- About 3 cups all-purpose flour
- About 6 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into chunks, plus about 1 tbsp. melted
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups blackberries and/or raspberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Slightly sweetened softly whipped cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 3 cups flour, 3 tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt; whirl until blended. Add 1/2 cup butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add cream and pulse just until dough comes together when you squeeze a clump.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface and press to flatten slightly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, then knead until incorporated, 6 to 8 turns. Pat dough out to 1 1/4 in. thickness. With a 2 3/4-in. round cutter, cut out shortcakes; gather dough and pat out again as needed to cut all 6 cakes, dusting surface with more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Set shortcakes slightly apart on a baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- 3. Bake shortcakes until golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet at least 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, gently mix 3 tbsp. sugar, berries, and mint.
- 5. With a serrated knife, carefully slice shortcakes in half horizontally. Set bottoms on plates and top with berry mixture, dark chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. Set tops in place.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This