Have made these for Christmas celebrating. Easy to make at the end of a busy baking day while the oven is hot and can be left overnight.
Chocolate Chip Meringues
Patricia Buckholz calls these ethereal cookies "forgotten meringues" because she turns off her oven and leaves them there to cool overnight.
Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 dozen meringues
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 33
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 0.3g
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 5.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 3.1mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate (6 oz.) or miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until thick and foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until mixture holds stiff, shiny peaks.
- 2. With a spatula, gently stir in almond extract and chopped chocolate. Spoon 1/2-tablespoon portions into 1-inch-wide mounds (or with a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain or star tip, pipe 1-inch-wide mounds) about 1 inch apart onto cooking parchment - lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 3. Bake meringues in a 275° regular or convection oven until dry and firm to touch on the outside and almost dry inside (break one open to test), 30 to 35 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then slide a spatula underneath meringues and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Nutritional analysis per meringue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note