- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- calories 258
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 3.2 g
- fat 8.5 g
- satfat 3.8 g
- carbohydrate 42 g
- fiber 2.5 g
- sodium 172 mg
- cholesterol 17 mg
How to Make It
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, oil, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, applesauce, and vanilla until well blended.
In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir or beat into butter mixture until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
Spread dough evenly in a lightly oiled 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle top evenly with granulated sugar.
Bake in a 350° oven until pale golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack about 10 minutes, then cut into 1- by 4-inch bars. Let cool completely.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.