Chocolate, Cherry, and Hazelnut Biscotti
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 94
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 14.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 61mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring once. Turn nuts out onto a towel. Roll up towel; rub off skins. Chop nuts.
- 3. Pour wine in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Add cherries, and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- 4. Place sugar and chocolate in a food processor; process until chocolate is finely ground.
- 5. Place vanilla, egg, and egg yolk in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended (about 1 minute). Add sugar mixture; beat 1 minute.
- 6. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour and remaining ingredients, and stir with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating until blended. Add hazelnuts and cherries; beat just until blended. (The dough will be very stiff.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly several times. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into an 8-inch-long roll. Place rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; pat each roll to a 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- 7. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 8. Cut each roll diagonally into 12 slices. Place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Cool completely on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts