More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 cups pitted fresh cherries (about 2 1/2 to 3 lb.)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar. Toss cherries with cornstarch mixture, and spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla until blended.
- 3. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt. Stir together buttermilk, vinegar, and baking soda in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup. (Mixture will bubble.) Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Spoon batter over cherry mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake topping comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- For a Chocolate-Cherry Cobbler sundae, top scoops of Chocolate-Cherry Cobbler with vanilla ice cream, Hot Fudge Sauce, sweetened whipped cream, and fresh cherries (with stems).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts