These are amazing. I cannot stop eating them. I wondered how they would be with unsweetened chocolate, but the sweetness of the meringue combined with the chocolate and cherries does the trick. The meringue melts in your mouth, and they have little pockets of chocolate and bits of chewy cherries. Delicious! I will definitely make these a holiday tradition. My 10-year-old daughter didn't care for them, so they may be for more sophisticated palates due to the tartness of the cherries. But I love them!
Chocolate-Cherry Chunk Meringues
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Cindy Manning Barr
The edges of the meringues are crisp, but the center pieces are slightly soft. Don't chop the chocolate too finely or it will completely melt in the meringue.
Yield: 35 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 42
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 7mg
- Calcium: 3mg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200º.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 14 x 10-inch rectangle on paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high, and gradually add granulated sugar and then powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add extract; beat just until blended. Fold in cherries and chocolate. Spread batter onto drawn rectangle using the back of a spoon. Score rectangle into 2-inch squares using the tip of a sharp knife.
- Bake at 200º for 2 hours. Turn oven off, and cool meringue in closed oven 1 1/2 hours or until dry. Carefully remove meringue from paper. Break into (2-inch) squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note