1. Heat oven to 325. In a medium bowl, combine 1st two ingredients and mix well. Press into bottom and 1 inch up sides of an ungreased 10-inch springform pan.
2. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add sugar and almond extract; beat until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of whipping cream and blend well.
3. Sppon 3 1/2 cups of the batter in the crust lined pan, spreading evenly. Carefully spoon 1 cup of the cherry filling evenly over the cream cheese later. (Reserve remaining pie filling for topping) Spoon remaining batter evenly over pie filling.
4. Bake @ 325F for 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 1 hour.
5. Bring 1/2 cup whipping cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted to create glaze.
6. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Remove sides of springpan and place cheesecake on the wax paper. Spread glaze over the cooled cheesecake allowing some to flow down the sides. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve topped with the remaing pie filling.
Go to full version of