- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 1.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons sliced almonds
- calories 186
- fat 6.9 g
- satfat 3.9 g
- monofat 1.5 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 3.7 g
- carbohydrate 27.3 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- cholesterol 31 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 146 mg
- calcium 60 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sitr in cherries and chocolate.
Combine egg, 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk, and almond extract, stirring well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. (Dough will be sticky.)
Pat dough into an 8-inch circle with floured hands on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut dough into 12 equal wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Brush top of dough with remaining 1 tablespoon milk, and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and almonds.
Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.