Chocolate-Caramel Shortbread Bars
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
Yield: Makes 18
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- Chocolate Ganache
- Flaky sea salt or kosher salt
- 1. Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl; gradually beat into butter mixture.
- 2. Press dough into a greased, aluminum foil-lined 9- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. Combine sugar, 1/2 cup heavy cream, corn syrup, and butter in a 2-quart heavy pot. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 238° (just past soft ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
- 4. Combine remaining 1/2 cup cream and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; carefully pour into sugar mixture. (Mixture will bubble.) Boil until mixture returns to 238°. Pour over shortbread crust. Let stand at room temperature or refrigerate until caramel is firm.
- 5. Pour Chocolate Ganache over caramel, smoothing with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let stand in a cool place until chocolate is firm. Cut into bars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts