Even forgetting to add the vanilla extract this cake came out incredibly flavorful. So delicious topped with the quick caramel frosting with pecans. I would make this again and again. Check out my blog at: http://imapretendchef.blogspot.com
Chocolate-Caramel Sheet Cake
Yield: Makes 15 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Quick Caramel Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove from heat.
- Beat buttermilk and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; add cocoa mixture, beating until blended.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating just until blended. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter into a greased and floured 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Pour warm Quick Caramel Frosting over cake, spreading evenly to edges of pan. Sprinkle evenly with pecans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note