Chocolate Candied Almonds
Time: 1 hour, plus freezing time. Caramel-roasted almonds covered in chocolate make the ultimate finger food.
Yield: Makes 6 cups
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Cholesterol: 4.2mg
- Cooking-oil spray
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups raw almonds with skins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces chopped milk chocolate
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. Mix corn syrup, granulated sugar, and 2 tbsp. water in a 4-qt. pot. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium-high, add nuts, and cook, stirring continuously; syrup will crystallize into sugar around nuts and become very sandy. Keep cooking and stirring until sugar starts to melt again and caramelize, about 5 minutes. When nuts smell toasted and all sugar has caramelized and is medium brown, remove from heat. Stir in butter. Carefully pour hot nuts onto prepared baking pan (reserve pot).
- 3. Spray tines of 2 forks with cooking spray. Using forks, stir and separate nuts until cool. Freeze nuts on pan 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, add 3 in. water to reserved pot; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Put chocolate in a medium metal bowl and set bowl over pot. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted.
- 5. Transfer nuts from freezer to a medium bowl. Pour half the melted chocolate over nuts; stir well to coat. Return nuts to baking sheet, spreading out and separating them. Return nuts to freezer until chocolate has set, about 20 minutes. Repeat with remaining melted chocolate.
- 6. Divide nuts between 2 bowls. Sift cocoa over first bowl, tossing gently to coat nuts. Repeat with second bowl, using powdered sugar instead of cocoa. Store nuts separately in airtight containers up to 2 weeks.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts