MMMM!!! IM A CHOCOHOLIC!!!! (just kidding) BUT I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE CHOCOLATE
Chocolate Cake IV
This impressive chocolate cake recipe features three layers of tender chocolate cake and two layers of creamy mocha-chocolate filling covered in a rich chocolate-coffee ganache. The fourth element of chocolate is the garnish of chocolate curls that are sprinkled on top of the cake.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
- cooking spray
- vegetable shortening
- 1/2 (4 ounce) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 (4 ounce) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing
- Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling
- Garnish: chocolate curls
- Coat 3 (8-inch) round cakepans with cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with wax paper; grease wax paper with shortening, and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in boiling water. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing. Spread half of Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling evenly over ganache on cake layer. Top with second cake layer; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing and remaining Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
If you don't want to use the chocolate liqueur in the glaze, you can substitute 2 tablespoons of sweetened coffee.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note