My friend made this for my birthday. Amazing!! Finally coaxed her into giving me the recipe. As much as I love it, I think I'll try frosting it with the buttercream just to see how that goes.
Chocolate Cake IV
This chocolate cake took the title as "Your Best Recipe" Category Winner. The IV in the title comes from the four types of chocolate used in this outstanding cake.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- PAM Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- CRISCO Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 (4-ounce) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 (4-ounce) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed DOMINO Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing
- Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling
- Garnish: dark chocolate curls
- 1. Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with wax paper; grease wax paper with shortening, and set aside.
- 2. Melt chocolates in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- 3. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- 4. Sift together cake flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in 1 cup boiling water. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- 6. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing. Spread half of Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling evenly over ganache on cake layer. Top with second cake layer; spread top with 4 tablespoons Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing and remaining Mocha-Chocolate Cream Filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining Coffee Liqueur Ganache Icing on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note