This is a very rich frosting that isn't too sweet. I use to frost cakes as well as pipe onto cupcakes. It pairs really well with yellow cake. I use less milk if I'm going to pipe it on cupcakes, so the consistency is firmer. You can lightly frost 24 cupcakes or liberally frost 12 with this recipe.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 8 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) cocoa powder
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) 2% milk
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat butter on high until it's soft, about 30 seconds until soft.
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and beat until incorporated
- Add the milk a little at a time as you mix. Stop when you get to your desired consistency -- the more milk you add, the softer it will be.
- Once you have your desired consistency, beat on high for 3 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by chower and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate Buttercream Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts