Heavenly. Have never had better. Great dessert for special occasions, pot luck suppers, no reason at all. Definitely worth the extra fat and calories!
Chocolate Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Photo: Charles Walton
Warm flavors of chocolate and whiskey mingle for a bread pudding that pairs perfectly with cold weather.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 7 cups French bread cubes
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 (1-ounce) bittersweet chocolate squares, chopped
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whiskey Sauce
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bring whipping cream and milk to a boil over medium heat in skillet. Remove from heat, and whisk in chocolate until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks, brown sugar, and vanilla. Pour over bread cubes; let stand 30 minutes. Cover with foil; cut 6 small holes in foil to allow steam to escape.
- Place baking dish in a roasting pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 1/2 inches.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until set. Remove bread pudding from water. Cool 30 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with Whiskey Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Puddings/Custards
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate, Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Father's Day, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Desserts