Chocolate Bread Pudding with Custard
Make fresh breadcrumbs by pulsing bread slices in a food processor.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups soft white breadcrumbs (5 bread slices)
- Custard Sauce
- Bring whipping cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Process chocolate in a food processor 15 to 20 seconds or until finely chopped. With processor running, slowly add cream; process until smooth. Add 1/3 cup sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time; process until smooth. Add vanilla, and process until blended.
- Combine breadcrumbs and chocolate mixture, stirring until blended.
- Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and beat until mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Fold one-third of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white mixture until blended. Spoon into a greased 8-inch square pan. Place pan in a broiler pan; add enough water to broiler pan to reach halfway up sides of square pan.
- Bake, on center oven rack, at 325° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Carefully invert onto a serving platter. Serve with Custard Sauce.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This