Chocolate Banana Bread
This variation on traditional banana bread has become a favorite snack for Teresa Sizemore's children.
Yield: Makes 1 loaf (about 2 lb.); 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 287
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- About 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- About 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1. Butter and flour a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan (8-cup capacity).
- 2. In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat 1/2 cup butter and the sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Stir in bananas.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; add to banana mixture and mix just until evenly moistened. Stir in pecans if using. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until a thin wood skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert loaf from pan and cool completely on rack, about 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note