This is outstanding!
This is a simply amazing recipe—layers of crisp phyllo interspersed with mixed nuts and hazelnut-chocolate spread, with just enough butter to enhance the flavor yet keep the sat fat low. Baklava is a classic Mediterranean dessert that traditionally features layered phyllo dough, nuts, and syrup or honey. In this version, creamy chocolate-hazelnut spread adds rich, decadent flavor to this nutty, crowd-pleasing pastry. Because phyllo sheets are thin and delicate, handle with care so you won't tear the sheets. Keep the sheets you are not working with covered so it won't dry out.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 21 Minutes
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 27.8g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 148mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 cup hazelnut-chocolate spread (such as Nutella)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup blanched toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 24 (14 x 9-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat; stir until honey dissolves. Increase heat to medium; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 230° (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; keep warm. Discard cinnamon stick.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Place hazelnut-chocolate spread in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Combine hazelnuts and next 5 ingredients (through salt). Lightly coat a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), place 1 phyllo sheet lengthwise in bottom of prepared pan, allowing ends of sheet to extend over edges of dish; lightly brush with butter. Repeat procedure with 5 phyllo sheets and butter. Drizzle about 1/3 cup melted hazelnut -chocolate spread over phyllo. Sprinkle evenly with one-third of nut mixture (about 1/2 cup). Repeat procedure twice with phyllo, butter, hazelnut-chocolate spread, and nut mixture. Top last layer of nut mixture with remaining 6 sheets phyllo, each lightly brushed with butter. Press gently into pan.
- 4. Make 3 lengthwise cuts and 5 crosswise cuts to form 24 portions using a sharp knife. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until phyllo is golden. Remove from oven. Drizzle honey mixture over baklava. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cover; store at room temperature.
- Because phyllo sheets are thin and delicate, handle with care so you won't tear the sheets. Keep the sheets you are not working with covered so it won't dry out.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note