Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Buffy Hargett
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (4-ounce) semisweet chocolate bar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Amaretto Buttercream Frosting
- French Chocolate Glaze
- Garnish: Candied Rose Petals
- Grease and flour a 6-inch heart-shaped or round springform pan; line bottom with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Stir together sugar and flour. Gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add egg yolks, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites and salt at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place cakepan in a 13- x 9-inch pan, and add hot water to larger pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until center appears firm. Remove pan from water, and cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack, and peel off paper. Cool completely.
- Spread Amaretto Buttercream Frosting over top of cake, and freeze 15 minutes.
- Place cake on wire rack in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Pour French Chocolate Glaze over cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Spread glaze over sides of cake with a spatula. Spoon excess glaze from pan into a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle chocolate over cake. Let cake stand at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate-Amaretto Heart Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts