- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 (8-ounce) cans almond paste
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can apricot filling*
- Chocolate Ganache
- Garnishes: almond slices, dried apricots
How to Make It
Grease bottom and sides of 2 (15- x 10-inch) jellyroll pans, and line with wax paper; grease and flour wax paper. Set aside.
Beat butter and almond paste at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir in flour, and spread batter into prepared pans.
Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks.
Turn 1 cake out onto a flat surface; remove wax paper, and spread with apricot filling. Top with remaining cake, and cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter.
Place cakes on a wire rack in a large shallow pan. Using a squeeze bottle, coat top and sides with warm Chocolate Ganache. (Spoon up excess frosting that drips through rack; reheat and refill bottle, and use to continue frosting cakes.) Chill cakes at least 30 minutes. Freeze up to 3 months. Garnish, if desired.
* 1 (10-ounce) jar apricot spreadable fruit may be substituted for canned apricol filling.