- 1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 (7-ounce) package almond paste, grated (we tested with Odense)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate mini-morsels
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels (optional)
- 1 tablespoon shortening (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
How to Make It
Combine coconut and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Add almond paste and next 5 ingredients. Stir in mini-morsels.
Beat egg white at high speed with an electric mixer until still peaks form; fold into coconut mixture.
Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Bake at 325° for 20 to 21 minutes or until edges are golden and tops are lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheets.
If desired, microwave chocolate morsels and shortening in a 1-cup glass measuring cup on HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring once.
Pour melted chocolate into a small zip-top freezer bag. Snip a small hole in 1 corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over macaroons, and sprinkle with toasted almonds, if desired. Let stand until chocolate is firm.