Chipotle and Tamarind-Braised Collard Greens
- 3 large dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 cups Rich Turkey Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 pounds collard greens, stems and inner ribs discarded, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons (about 28 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate or 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1. Using kitchen shears, cut the chiles into very thin strips. In a stockpot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and chiles and cook over high heat until the garlic is just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the collard greens by large handfuls and stir to wilt each batch before adding more. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the collards are tender, about 40 minutes.
- 2. Transfer 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a small bowl and stir in the tamarind concentrate, then stir this mixture into the collards. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the collards and their liquid to a large bowl and serve.
- Make Ahead: The greens can be refrigerated overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables