Spectacular! I cut the butter in half, doubled the chipotles and subbed almond milk for the cream to cut fat and calories. Served with Grilled Pastrami-Style Salmon and Broccoli with Dijon Vinaigrette.
Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapeños that come canned in adobo sauce and can be found in most grocery stores. Maiya warns, "They have tremendous flavor and a lot of heat—a little goes a long way."
More From Southern Living
- 3 pounds fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- 1. Bring sweet potatoes and salted water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water.
- 2. Return potatoes to Dutch oven. Add butter, minced peppers, and cream; mash with a potato masher, adding reserved water, a little at a time, for desired consistency. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note