This is on my list of favorite all time recipes. In fact, we are having a dinner party competition tomorrow tonight where it will be featured as the main course. I fully expect to take home the prize. Don't let the chipoltle and adobo scare you. Not too spicy. Its just the right amount of smoky flavor!
Chipotle-Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 28.3g
- Carbohydrate: 43.4g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Calcium: 105mg
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 1/4 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce (such as A-1)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare topping, remove 1 chile and 2 teaspoons sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Coarsely chop 1 chile.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Place potatoes, chopped chile, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, milk, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- To prepare filling, cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain.
- Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Return beef to pan; stir in peas and remaining ingredients. Cook 2 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture into a 3-quart casserole; top with sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This