Really good and super easy. I would even use ground turkey. Just the right amount of spice. I just used yellow onion instead of the sweet onion and red pepper because I didn't have any green pepper on hand. Delish. Even my picky teen ate the pepper which she usually picks out (of course she also put shredded cheddar on the open-faced sandwich). The coleslaw was a nice side dish.
Chipotle Sloppy Joes
Add Mexican-inspired spice to this traditional family favorite. Serve with your favorite coleslaw for an easy side.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.3g
- Carbohydrate: 32.1g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 724mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups presliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup prechopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 5 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- 1. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cover and cook 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 2. Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; set aside. Remove 1 chipotle chile from can; chop and set aside. Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in chopped chipotle chile, adobo sauce, tomato paste, and next 3 ingredients (through tomato sauce); cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture over bottom half of each bun, and top evenly with onions and top half of bun.
- Plate with pickle chips and a simple slaw. Combine 1/3 cup canola-based mayonnaise, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add 3 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw, tossing well to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches