If making sauce up to 3 days ahead, cover and chill. Look for canned chipotle chilies in Mexican markets and well-stocked supermarkets.
This recipe goes with Giant Chicken Tamale Pie
More From Sunset
- Calories: 100
- Calories from fat: 8.1%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 1111mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1 onion (1/2 lb. total), peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 to 6 canned chipotle chilies in sauce
- 2 cans (28-oz. size and 10-oz. size; 4 3/4 cups total) red chili or enchilada sauce
- 2 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir oil, onion, and garlic until onion is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, and allspice and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a blender, purée chipotles (for less heat, remove seeds), small can (10 oz.) chili sauce, and tomato paste until smooth. Add to onion mixture.
- 3. Add remaining can (28 oz.) chili sauce to onion-chipotle mixture and stir to blend well. Season to taste with salt.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This