A favorite I come back to again and again! I've made this 4-5 times, now. I make this in the slow cooker and prefer to leave the tenderloin in two large pieces (brown all sides first) while cooking instead of the 1-inch chunks (better shredded texture, in my opinion). I like spicy so I use 3-4 chipotle peppers...it's still not very hot but a good flavor. This pork is great on King's Hawaiian rolls. Pickles are a must! I use regular as opposed to bread and butter. Pickled jalapenos are good, too!
Chipotle Pulled-Pork Barbecue Sandwiches
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 431
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 28.3g
- Carbohydrate: 51.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 910mg
- Calcium: 207mg
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- 12 sandwich-cut bread-and-butter pickles
- 6 (2 1/2-ounce) Kaiser rolls
- Remove 1 chile from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Finely chop chile.
- Place chopped chile, barbecue sauce, and the next 4 ingredients (barbecue sauce through tomatoes) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and pork is very tender. Remove from heat. Remove pork from sauce; shred pork. Return pork to sauce.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, thyme, and sugar; cook 10 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 1 cheese slice, 1/2 cup pork mixture, about 2 tablespoons onions, and 2 pickle slices on bottom half of each roll. Cover with top halves of rolls. Add 3 sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches, and press gently to flatten. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Repeat procedure with remaining sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches