- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 10 whole allspice
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, undrained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 (3.5-ounce) semiboneless quail
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
How to Make It
Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted; cool. Process toasted spices in a blender until finely ground.
Process chipotle peppers in a blender until smooth. Measure 2 tablespoons puree, reserving remainder for another use. Stir together 2 tablespoons chipotle puree, spice mixture, wine, and next 4 ingredients.
Pour chipotle puree mixture into a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add quail. Seal and chill 3 hours, turning every 30 minutes.
Remove quail from marinade, reserving marinade. Sprinkle quail with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Brown quail, in batches, in hot oil in a large heavy-duty skillet over medium-high heat about 6 minutes on each side, adding more oil, if necessary. Drain on paper towels.
Bring quail and reserved marinade to a boil in skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until done.