Chipotle-Marinated Flatiron Steak with Avocado-Corn Relish
The flatiron steak, a.k.a. the top blade steak, is a marbled cut of beef from the shoulder. Uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape (just like an old-fashioned iron), it's easy to butterfly for quick cooking on the grill. Here, Melissa Rubel flavors the meat with a bold Southwestern-style marinade made with smoky chipotle and fresh orange juice.
- 2 1/2-pound flatiron steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels, from 1 ear of corn
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 small jalapeÅo, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Set the steak flat on a work surface. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut through the center of the steak (parallel to the work surface), leaving 1/2 inch of the meat attached at the side so it can be opened like a book. Set the butterflied flatiron steak in a medium bowl or baking dish.
- In a blender, combine the orange juice with the chipotle, adobo, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and puree until smooth. Pour the marinade over the steak and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, gently mix the avocados with the corn, red onion, jalapeńo, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl; do not wipe off the marinade. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill the butterflied steak flat over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium, about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the avocado-corn relish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note