Not quite cheesy enough.
Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
This macaroni and cheese is a favorite of ours because it is incredibly tasty and easy to prepare. You don't even have to make a white sauce for this creamy dish. The acidic tomatoes counter the richness of the cheeses.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 34.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39.6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 756mg
- Calcium: 307mg
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; set aside. Remove 2 chipotle chiles from can; finely chop to measure 1 tablespoon. Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped chiles, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes. Cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Add reserved 1 teaspoon adobo sauce, pasta, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk, Parmesan, and egg; stir to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note