It was good; I added a bit more heat to the sauce.
Chipotle-Lime Roast Chicken with Tomatillo Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 36.9g
- Carbohydrate: 9.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 694mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine butter, chile powder, rind, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, and 1 garlic clove in a small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in roasting pan.
- Discard husks and stems from tomatillos; cut into quarters. Arrange tomatillos and onion evenly around chicken. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 15 minutes.
- Place tomatillos and onion in a food processor. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 3 garlic cloves, cilantro, juice, and chiles; process until smooth.
- Remove skin from chicken; discard. Carve chicken, and serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This