It was good; I added a bit more heat to the sauce.
Chipotle-Lime Roast Chicken with Tomatillo Sauce
Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes in papery husks. Combining them with chipotle chile powder gives this chicken Mexican flair. Serve with lime wedges, rice, and beans.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces meat and about 1/2 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 36.9g
- Carbohydrate: 9.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 694mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine butter, chile powder, rind, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, and 1 garlic clove in a small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in roasting pan.
- Discard husks and stems from tomatillos; cut into quarters. Arrange tomatillos and onion evenly around chicken. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 15 minutes.
- Place tomatillos and onion in a food processor. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 3 garlic cloves, cilantro, juice, and chiles; process until smooth.
- Remove skin from chicken; discard. Carve chicken, and serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note