- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- calories 299
- caloriesfromfat 36 %
- fat 12.1 g
- satfat 3.9 g
- monofat 4.1 g
- polyfat 2.5 g
- protein 36.9 g
- carbohydrate 9.6 g
- fiber 2.4 g
- cholesterol 111 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 694 mg
- calcium 51 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
Combine butter, chile powder, rind, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, and 1 garlic clove in a small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in roasting pan.
Discard husks and stems from tomatillos; cut into quarters. Arrange tomatillos and onion evenly around chicken. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 15 minutes.
Place tomatillos and onion in a food processor. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 3 garlic cloves, cilantro, juice, and chiles; process until smooth.
Remove skin from chicken; discard. Carve chicken, and serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.