- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can
- 2 cups natural almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate morsels
How to Make It
Melt butter in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add granulated sugar and next 4 ingredients; cook until sugars dissolve, stirring constantly. Attach candy thermometer to pan. Increase heat to medium; add chopped chipotle pepper and sauce. Cook, stirring often, at a gentle boil 10 minutes. Add almonds, and continue boiling and stirring for 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 290°.
Remove from heat. Carefully pour candy onto a buttered jelly-roll pan; spread candy to 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle with chocolate morsels. Let stand 2 minutes or until chocolate melts; spread chocolate using an offset spatula. Cool until chocolate hardens. Break toffee into pieces.