Chipotle Chili con Carne
This is no ordinary chili. Beef, venison, and pork mingle with smoky chipotle peppers for a thick, spicy concoction. Use all of one type of meat, if desired, and just one chipotle pepper for a milder version.
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 (16-ounce) package sage-flavored pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Cook first 6 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef, venison, and pork crumble and are no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, stir together diced tomatoes and next 7 ingredients in a 4 1/2-quart electric slow cooker. Drain meat mixture, and stir into tomato mixture. Cover and cook on LOW 5 hours.
- To serve, spoon chili into bowls. Top with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
- Note: Find chipotle peppers in (7-ounce) cans on the grocery aisle with Mexican ingredients.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note