Chinese Three-Bean Chili
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 411
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sodium: 1050mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pork loin, rinsed, fat trimmed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (white and pale green parts only; reserve green tops for garnish, if desired)
- 3 fresh serrano or other hot green chilies (about 3 oz. total), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons salted fermented black beans, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1. In a bowl, mix cornstarch, chili powder, five spice, and salt. Add pork and mix to coat.
- 2. Pour oil into a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add pork mixture and stir often until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer pork to bowl. Add green onions, chilies, garlic, fermented black beans, and ginger to pan. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3. Return pork to pan and add 1 cup water, kidney beans, pinto beans, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat, cover, and simmer (do not let boil), stirring occasionally, until pork is tender when pierced, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Ladle into bowls and top with sliced green onion tops, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews