- 2 (2-pound) slabs pork spareribs
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°. Place spareribs, meaty side up, in a large shallow roasting pan. Process 1/2 cup broth and next 6 ingredients in a food processor. Combine with remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, and pour over ribs. Cover pan tightly with foil, set in lower third of oven, and bake at 325° for 2 hours 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
Remove ribs from pan, and pour cooking liquid into a large heavy saucepan. Add lemon juice, brown sugar, and corn syrup, and boil, uncovered, 15 minutes over high heat or until thick and syrupy. Increase oven temperature to 375°.
Return ribs to pan, and brush generously with glaze. Bake at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes, brushing twice more with glaze, until richly browned and glistening. Divide ribs, and serve.