Good stew, not the normal stew recipe. I sliced my sweet potatoes too thin, will cut in chunks next time. I bot stew meat already sliced it was great..
Chinese-Style Beef, Sweet Potato, and Bok Choy Stew
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 508
- Calories from fat: 62%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 1285mg
- Cholesterol: 96mg
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1 in. square), cut into chunks
- 1 1/4 pounds beef rib-eye steaks (about 1 1/2 steaks)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 deep-orange sweet potato (12 oz.; often labeled "yam")
- 12 ounces baby bok choy
- 2 green onions
- 1. Whirl garlic and ginger in a food processor until minced. Trim fat from steaks and cut across the grain into 1/4-in. slices, discarding pockets of fat. Sprinkle meat with half of garlic mixture and all the salt.
- 2. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over high heat. Brown half the beef lightly, stirring occasionally, 3 to 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining garlic mixture to pan and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in five-spice powder, then broth and soy sauce. Peel sweet potato, halve lengthwise, and cut in 1/3-in.-thick slices. Add to broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, trim ends from bok choy, rinse, separate leaves, and cut in wide diagonal slices. Stir bok choy into stew and simmer just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in beef and cook until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Cut onions in 3-in. slivers.
- 5. Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with onions.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note