An interesting dish for change of pace, but we didn't care for the sauce so much. Used the recipe's recommended modification (chili oil plus oyster sauce). My long beans may have been thicker than normal so it took additional cooking time.
Chinese Long Beans with XO Sauce
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 60
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 145mg
- Cholesterol: 0.2mg
- 1 pound Chinese long beans*, cut into 4-in. lengths
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons XO sauce*, or prepared oyster sauce plus 1 tsp. Asian chili oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cook beans in water until bright green and tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add beans and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Mix XO sauce and hoisin in a small bowl. Add sauce to beans, stirring to coat, and cook until sauce is fragrant and coats beans, about 3 minutes.
- *Find long beans and XO sauce, a dried seafood-based condiment, at Asian grocery stores.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 day, chilled; microwave to rewarm.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chinese Long Beans with XO Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables