- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 12 1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 3 green onions
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups cubed firm tofu (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked Chinese-style noodles (about 8 ounces uncooked)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- calories 232
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- fat 8.1 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- monofat 3.1 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 19.5 g
- carbohydrate 22.3 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- cholesterol 30 mg
- iron 3.1 mg
- sodium 581 mg
- calcium 43 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Combine first 3 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove ribs from pan, and set aside. Add 1/2 cup water to pan, and stir to deglaze pan.
Combine the pan drippings, ribs, remaining 12 cups water, peppercorns, onions, green onions, and carrots in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours.
Remove ribs from broth, and let cool completely. Remove meat from bones; discard bones, fat, and gristle. Place meat in a bowl; cover and chill. Strain broth through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Cover broth, and chill 12 hours. Skim solidified fat from surface of broth, and discard.
Combine broth, meat, mushrooms, tofu, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, and salt in Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Spoon noodles into individual soup bowls. Ladle soup into each bowl, and sprinkle with sliced green onions and cilantro.