This is our go-to recipe when we want Chinese. Usually serve it over rice, substitute flat-leaf parsley for cilantro, and love the extra, spicy kick of sambal oelek that every one can add to taste at the table. Reeeeeeally over-the-top delicious with lamb instead of chicken, but otherwise wouldn't change a thing!
Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
Stir cilantro into the filling after thawing to keep the flavor bright. Use Bibb lettuce leaves instead of Boston for the cups, if you prefer. This appetizer can be served warm or at room temperature. Serve with chili garlic sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 103
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 15.3g
- Carbohydrate: 7.4g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 270mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups minced cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup minced shiitake mushroom caps (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 3 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can whole water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 1 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 Boston lettuce leaves
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add cremini and shiitake mushrooms and chicken; cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shredded cabbage, kosher salt, crushed red pepper, and water chestnuts; cook for 5 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Remove from heat, and stir in onions, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. Cool completely. Place mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw chicken mixture overnight in refrigerator or microwave at MEDIUM for 10 minutes. Bring to room temperature, or microwave at HIGH until warm, if desired. Stir in cilantro. Spoon about 3 tablespoons chicken mixture into each lettuce leaf with a slotted spoon.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This