This was disappointing. I found the oregano to be overpowering, and thought the dish needed quite a bit more cheese. And considering how much garlic was in this dish, I couldn't taste it very well. If I attempt this again, I'll use more cheese, less oregano, and use cilantro and parsley leaves in addition to just stems.
Chimichurri Mac and Cheese
Serve with Glazed Baby Carrots. Chimichurri--the South American herb sauce typically served with meat--revs up basic mac and cheese with tangy flavors. You can also serve this in individual ramekins or small serving skillets.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
- Calories: 419
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 60.9g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 540mg
- Calcium: 302mg
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti rigate
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light), cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Glazed Baby Carrots
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, combine milk, stock, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Let stand 5 minutes. Add 2 ounces shredded cheddar and processed cheese, stirring until smooth.
- 4. Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, oregano, thyme, pepper, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine onion mixture, parsley stems, cilantro stems, and lime juice in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- 5. Combine pasta, milk mixture, and parsley mixture. Heat cast-iron skillet over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pasta mixture to pan; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese. Broil 8 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is browned. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note