- 8 ounces uncooked ziti rigate
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light), cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Glazed Baby Carrots
- calories 419
- fat 10.9 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 3.1 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 20 g
- carbohydrate 60.9 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- cholesterol 28 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 540 mg
- calcium 302 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
While pasta cooks, combine milk, stock, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Let stand 5 minutes. Add 2 ounces shredded cheddar and processed cheese, stirring until smooth.
Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, oregano, thyme, pepper, and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine onion mixture, parsley stems, cilantro stems, and lime juice in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
Combine pasta, milk mixture, and parsley mixture. Heat cast-iron skillet over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pasta mixture to pan; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese. Broil 8 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is browned. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.