This is wonderful...a great use for overripe peaches. I left the skins on to preserve the nutrients, and I believe the color and flavor were more intense as a result. After pureeing I couldn't tell they were in there. I also used nonfat plain yogurt, as the soup is plenty sweet on its own; next time I may even omit the honey. I served this alongside Kohlrabi and Greens Pie for a light supper.
Chilled Peach Soup
- 3 cardamom seeds*
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 pounds peaches, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (8-ounce) container vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon diced candied ginger
- Garnishes: fresh mint sprigs, fresh peach slices
- Place cardamom and cloves on a 6-inch square of cheesecloth; tie with string.
- Bring spice bag, chopped peaches, orange juice, and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until peach is tender. Remove and discard spice bag; let peach mixture cool.
- Process peach mixture in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; stir in yogurt and ginger. Cover and chill; garnish, if desired.
- *1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom may be substituted; stir in with cinnamon and ginger.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews