This is definitely a has potential recipe. I really liked the flavor of the pea soup before I put the mint pesto in it. I didn't dislike the mint pesto, however, when I added it to the soup the texture of the finely diced mint leaves wasn't my favorite. The soup was smooth before adding the pesto and after it was gritty. If the mint pesto could be more finely processed I would probably like it more. Not sure if that's possible though. As an aside, the BF loved it as is and didn't have any issues with the texture.
Chilled Pea Soup with Mint Pesto
This chilled pea soup is a great choice for an elegant first course and features pureed frozen peas flavored with a savory mint pesto. You can substitute fresh peas for frozen.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.6g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 452mg
- Calcium: 175mg
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (1-pound) package frozen green peas, unthawed
- 6 tablespoons Mint Pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle flour over onions, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Add peas; cook 5 minutes.
- Place half of pea mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean dishtowel over opening in the blender lid (to prevent spills). Process until smooth. Pour pureed pea mixture through a sieve over a large bowl, pressing mixture with a spatula. Reserve liquid; discard solids. Repeat procedure with remaining pea mixture. Stir in Mint Pesto, salt, and pepper; cover and chill. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
- Note: Nutritional analysis includes Mint Pesto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note