This soup was outstanding! It is amazingly creamy and has no dairy at all!! I've made it 4 times this season and my family keeps asking for more. I used fresh beans and corn from the local farmer's market. The relish is delicious and this soup is perfect for the vegetarians you love!
Chilled Butter Bean Soup with Basil-Corn Relish
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 202
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.5g
- Fiber: 10.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 254mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups shelled fresh butter beans
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 basil sprig
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 40 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard basil sprig. Reserve 1/4 cup beans; set aside.
- 2. Place remaining bean mixture in a blender; add juice. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Cool slightly; refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled.
- 3. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Combine reserved 1/4 cup beans, corn, red pepper, chopped basil, and oil in a small bowl. Divide soup evenly among 8 bowls; top with corn mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note