- 2 pounds ripe avocados (about 5), peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 medium cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved horizontally
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 cup chicken broth in food processor; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; whisk in remaining 2 cups chicken broth, cream, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and chopped cilantro. Chill soup mixture.
Combine shrimp, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and oil in a small bowl. Toss with remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls, and top each with 5 shrimp halves. Garnish, if desired.